[Avodah] "Sometimes Chutzpah is Praiseworthy"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Jan 2 02:57:25 PST 2008

Toby Katz wrote:
It is completely impossible to put Miriam's behavior in the same
category  as
calling parents by their first names.  Nor is Amram's acceding to her
superior wisdom/nevuah in this case -- and re-marrying Yocheved --
remotely  similar
to the case of an indulgent father who gives in to his kids' whining and
spoils them with toys and presents.

I totally agree with your above statement, but you gave a different
example in your original post. And that was what I was responding to.
My response merely said that I did not see what Miriam said to her
parents as "chutzpah" in the example you gave. I think we both agree
and the misunderstanding is semantic (and none of us is anti-semantic).
K.T./B.R.
ri