[Avodah] 15 different fruits on Tu B'shvat

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:19:59 PST 2008

>   From: "Liron Kopinsky" liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
> "...you will need to purchase both red and white wine and 15 different
> types
> of fruits and nuts; five from each of the following three categories:
>
> Does anyone know a source for needing 15 fruits specifically?
>

> On Jan 7, 2008 2:59 PM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:
> The URL you gave was to Hillel, which is a non-Orthodox organization,
> officially non-sectarian but defacto Conservative.  The post sounds like
> made-up Conservative minhag to me.  Tu B'Shvat is the new year for /trees/
> so any fruit whose bracha is "ha'adamah" seems to me to be irrelevant.  Out
> go the pineapples, bananas, and berries.

A little research found that this is actually based on a kabalistic work
"Pri Etz Hadar"

Eating 15 different fruits is also significant, since this is the numerical
value of *Yud-Heh*, the Name of God which connects the physical to the
spiritual, between this world and the next world. In the Holy Temple, the
Levites would sing each of the 15 "Shir HaMa'alot" Psalms as they ascended
each of the 15 steps.

*http://tinyurl.com/2mew3q*