[Avodah] Fasting on Yom Kippur

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 11:01:18 PST 2008

From: Gila Atwood <gila at atwood.co.il>
>>  The only  other time over 12 years of childbearing and nursing I've had
to break the fast  was Tisha BeAv when I was nursing a baby seven months old.
(supplemented)   It was 3 p.m. on a hot afternoon and I was starting to feel
faint. Husband  insisted I drink my fill right then. <<

This reminds me that many rabbanim are even more mekil (or I should  really
say, machmir) with a nursing mother than with a pregnant woman, because  /if/
the infant's only source of liquid is his mother's milk, and /if/ the  mother
becomes dehydrated, then it is actually pikuach nefesh for the  baby.  Even
according to those who say that you don't have to worry about a  miscarriage
because there's no issue of pikuach nefesh to save a fetus (which  BTW are there
really people who say that?), there is certainly an issue with a  baby that is
born already.

In my case my babies were willing to take liquid from a bottle or  sippy cup
and they were not newborns by the time I got to YK, so I nursed them  only a
little and fobbed them off with other drinks, and didn't have to break my  fast
on TB or YK.  (I did stay in bed most of the day, did not go to shul  even at
night for Eicha or Kol Nidre, and kept as quiet and cool as  possible, and
thank G-d for air-conditioning.)

--Toby  Katz