[Avodah] Fasting on Yom Kippur

Gila Atwood gila at atwood.co.il
Sun Jan 6 18:41:53 PST 2008

  Subject: Re: [Avodah] Fasting on Yom Kippur

  TK typing in her sleep as usual wrote this:

  >>.... I didn't mean to imply that
  there is a blanket heter for pregnant women to fast on Yom Kippur ...<<

  A gentle kibbitzer wrote to me off-list to ask,  >>Do you mean that in general, pregnant women are prohibited from fasting on YK? :)   <<

  Sigh.

  Please add the absolutely essential word NOT in your text, thus:

  There is no blanket heter for pregnant women NOT to fast on Yom Kippur.

  Thank you.

  Perhaps I posted this a few years ago but much time has passed and members have changed, and the subject has re-emerged. At any rate now seems a good time to tell how Rav Brandsdorfer shlita, Rav of Toldos Aharon, handled the situation.

  I was pregnant with my first, twins, due at the end of Tishre.  Rav Brandsdorfer told us to first consult with our doctor concerning my needs.  My doctor said that I did not need to eat but should drink.

  Based on this,  the Rav made the psak that I should drink less than shiurim of plain water over prescribed time intervals. I should rest the entire day and NOT wait till feeling unwell to start these shiurim.  I followed his instructions to the letter and Baruch Hashem had my babies on their due date ( 28th Tishre) with no complications, Baruch Hashem.

  I generally fast well and have never had to do this any other Yom Kippur.  ( I had a birth on 8th of Cheshvan (big and late!) and others in Kislev and Shvat, those were the closest to YK)
  The only other time over 12 years of childbearing and nursing I've had to break the fast was Tisha BeAv when I was nursing a baby seven months old. (supplemented)  It was 3 p.m. on a hot afternoon and I was starting to feel faint. Husband insisted I drink my fill right then.

  (Ironically, when I googled Rav Brandsdorfer just now the first entry was from Avodah, and the second, the account of my first birth from my web pages)