[Avodah] BO "My Sin Is Not A Perfume"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 19:08:39 PST 2008

The question was asked:
> [the difference between "chato-SI" (my sin) and "cho-TO-si"
> (I have sinned)]
I'm sorry, what has this got to do with perfume?

Answer: "My Sin" is a perfume and it was a play on words.

Zev Sero wrote:
This clergyman may be devout but he is not knowledgeable, and indeed
it seems to me that
this borders on what both Xians and Jews would call heresy (seeing God
and the "Devil" as having equal votes, ch"v).

I think that it is being taken too literally. If you substitute Yetzer
Tov and Yetzer hara, then one could see how each is equal. In fact,
sometimes the yetzer hara can even be stronger (and hence, have more
of a vote) than the yetzer tov. But since YOU have the deciding vote,
you can align with the yetzer tov (and with haShem). By saying this is
heresy is missing the point.

ri