[Avodah] Leniency WRT agunah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jan 6 12:46:15 PST 2008

RAF and I touched on the issue of agunah during last month's discussion
of the halachic process. OT1H, eishes ish and mamzeirus are permanent,
and therefore not issues to be taken lightly. OTOH, you can't decide
all that lightly to possibly ruin a woman's life.

See the Riva"sh, teshuvah 6. (This is a relatively famous teshuvah,
meaning: I heard of it before recently hearing RARakeffet's shiur. It is
about pilegesh bizman hazeh, and has relevance to questions like whether
"tefillin daters" are married.) The Rivash closes the teshuvah by saying
that there is no reason to be chosheish for a stringent shitah, since
it's not his job to make an agunah.

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964