[Avodah] Tefillin retzuos black on both sides

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Sun Jan 6 10:29:53 PST 2008

Marty Bluke wrote:

> My son's bar mitzva is approaching so I had to order tefillin for him.

> In the process I heard of a new chumra, the retzuos should be black on

> both sides. Does anyone have a source for this? Is this really a new

> chumra or is this an established minhag? I personally never heard or

> saw retzuos like that until now.

they are not just black on both sides, but they are black thru and thru.

this is a big practical advantage, as even if the retzuos paint wears away
due to scrapes, usage, etc. the tefillin retzuos are still black

also, you don't have to worry about the question of the retzuos edges having
to be black

when these new retzuos came out, I bought them for myself and now don't have
to check/touchup the retzuos as I always used to with a (nonanimalbased)
magic marker

Mordechai Cohen