[Avodah] pregnant women fasting on YK

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 6 06:55:56 PST 2008

>From: Ben Waxman <ben1456 at smile.net.il>
> >  Rav Eli Turkel wrote:
> >R. Nebenzahl is very mekil basically on the grounds given by
> >Meir Sheinar. Others (i have heard it from R. Zilberstein) are machmir
> >on the grounds that pregnant women have fasted on YK for many years
> >and we have no record in shutim of any problems.
>1) I read that Rav Yaacov Fisher gave a blanket heter for women in
>their 3rd trimester not to fast.
>2) Your second point, that there is no record in shutim, I find very
>strange. Does a posek have to wait until the problem makes its way to
>a shut before reopening the question?

As to whether pregnant women fasting on  YK, I have never heard any
leniency on that. My wife had one of our children 11 Tishrei, so I
would have known. :) As to the other fasts, on the minor ones they do
not fast, and I heard from my Rebbe, the Bobover Rov  ZT'L that my
wife was not allowed to fast 9 Av. (I have yet to find any community
that is a lenient with regards to fasting. This heter applied to
nursing women also.)

As to not being in the Shut, I suppose one needs to see the recent
works like Nata Gavriel, which quotes views from present poskim. I
would doubt there was a blanket heter, but there may be some very
lenient views that apply in specific cases.

Moshe Shulman   outreach at judaismsanswer.com 718-436-7705
Judaism's Answer:  http://www.judaismsanswer.com/