[Avodah] Fasting on YK

Michael Elzufon Michael at arnon.co.il
Thu Jan 3 03:06:33 PST 2008

From: Richard Wolberg <cantorwolberg at cox.net>

I recall a true story about an elderly gentleman who was told by his
physician that due to medical complications, he was not to fast on
Y.K.  The man told his wife that he wasn't listening to his doctor and
would fast. The wife, quite concerned and upset, understandably so,
contacted (through a third person) one of the g'dolei hador. The Rav
called this man and explained to him that if his doctor informed him
he was not to fast, then he must definitely not fast Y.K.  The man,
quite stubborn, told the Rav that he had fasted for over 50 years and
couldn't abide by his physician's order. The Rav gave one of the most
brilliant responses I ever heard. He told the man: "You are an
idolator." The man, stunned, asked the Rav: "What do you mean?" The
Rav responded: "You're worshipping Y.K., not God."

[[MJE]] R. Zeev Leff tells that story from his years in Miami.  While he
gave that answer, he would not claim to be one of the g'dolei hador.