[Avodah] schechtworthy

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Mar 24 11:24:45 PDT 2008

Chana Luntz wrote:

>> It's saying that this person refuses to follow
>> the pesaqim of his community.
>
> That begs the question, who is his community and what are its pesaquim -
> and how far does the concept of poretz geder extend  - which was the
> question I was asking.  The specific example that RZS gave was of
> somebody who trimmed his beard in a community where people didn't - this
> potentially constituting poretz geder.  Why is trimming the beard any
> different from white tableclothes or any of the other things that I
> believe most people on this list regard as narrishkeit in shidduch
> terms?  How far down this line do you go?

Well, trimming the beard is a matter of halachic psak, not just
communal norms, but another example I gave was wearing galoshes,
which nobody holds is inherently assur, and today everybody wears
them without question.  And yet, when they were new and "modern",
a shochet who wore them would be sacked on the spot.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.