[Avodah] Purim Seudah

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 06:19:47 PDT 2008

> From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>
> For example: Why is it important to have an appetite for the Shabbos meal? Why isn't it sufficient that he has eaten it and enjoyed it to some extent? Now that may sound like a silly question. After all, the goal is Oneg Shabbos, and Chazal want us to use food as a means of acheiving that Oneg, and that can't happen without an appetite.
>
> But if so, why does everyone accept, unquestioningly, that the Pores Mappah procedure is acceptable? From the perspective of Oneg Shabbos, why do we care about benching in the middle?
>
> Let me back up and explain myself. For the sake of simplicity, let's take a person who has no minyan in town, so leaving the seudah to go to shul doesn't complicate things. He has two procedures that he is considering: His first idea is to daven mincha, have a Purim Seudah late Erev Shabbos afternoon, say Birkas Hamazon, say Kabbalas Shabbos, have Kiddush, Hamotzi, Seudas Shabbos, bench, and daven Maariv. The second idea is to daven mincha, begin a meal late Erev Shabbos afternoon, pause dirung hte meal to say Kabbalas Shabbos, make Kiddush, (I forgot how Lechem Mishneh is handled,] and then continue his meal, bench, and daven Maariv.
>
> I think most people will agree that the first idea is very b'dieved, while the second one (despite the practical problems such as were mentioned in Rav Teitz's post) is fully sanctioned, at least for Sefaradim.
>
> Why such a disparity? Does Oneg Shabbos really suffer more in the first than in the second?
>
> Many thanks to those who took the time to read such a long post!
>
> Akiva Miller

Another solution that is common where many people are unable to have a
real Seudah early is to have a communal Seudah.

There can be an adequate break for Kabbalat Shabbat and Maariv (and
candle lighting in a small enough time frame that does not break up the
meal since there is no walking back and forth involved.  (and no one will
risk a DUI)