[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Wed Mar 19 08:06:32 PDT 2008

R' Michael Makovi wrote:
> Not so explicitly, no, but I've always seen R and C characterized as
> tinokim she'nishbu, and never did I see the rabbis distinguished from
> the lay. Now, b'vadai, sometimes you have to take practical measures
> against the rabbis themselves because of the harm they'll do. But it's
> never against them for their own sake - if an R/C rabbi sat and did
> nothing, we'd do nothing to him, and if he does "kiruv", we'll stop
> his efforts but only because of the efforts, not because of him
> himself. This is all AFAIK.

The following is an excerpt from an article written by a Conservative
Rabbi available at
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0411/is_2_51/ai_89233415

*Amen and amen: blessings of a heretic - like me*

Jeremy Kalmanofsky

R. Feinstein's 1960 responsum (Iggerot Moshe, Orah Hayim, vol. 2, #50)
concerns an Orthodox rabbi who was "compelled" to organize a fundraising
banquet for Israel and invite Reform and Conservative rabbis, and even
to honor them by asking them to say the opening or closing blessings at
the meal. Is it permissible to honor them in this way? If they bless the
food, does this fulfill the guests' obligation to recite the proper berakha?

Absolutely not, R. Moshe ruled. Non-Orthodox rabbis cannot participate
in religious life, he holds, because they do not acknowledge God. Even
if they recite the prayers correctly, even if their mouths pronounce the
name Ad- nay, they mean nothing sacred by it. They might as well say
bowling balls or lollypop for all the religious content they bring to
their blessings:

/"In my humble opinion, it seems clear that even if he [the non-Orthodox
rabbi] were to say the blessing properly and without interruption
between blessing and eating, since he denies God and His Torah, like
most of their "rabbis," (16) the mention of God's name to him is like an
ordinary word. [This name] does not refer to God, may He be blessed! ...
Rather, it is as if it never mentioned God's name. And it is as if he
never mentioned God's dominion, for he does not consider God to be the
King of the Universe. (17) [This person's blessing] is mere
chattering.... Thus there is a prohibition to honor these heretical
"rabbis" (18) who recite the motzi, even if they bless in accordance
with the law. For their blessing is not considered a blessing, and they
do not discharge the obligations for those who hear them recite. And
there is no need to respond amen to his blessing."/

R. Moshe extended this responsum in 1965, forbidding calling
Conservative or Reform rabbis to the Torah when they visit Orthodox
synagogues. "/Their blessings are nothing, and one should not respond
amen. ... Since they are deniers, mentioning the divine name is mere
words to them." /Even honors like lifting and wrapping the Torah are
forbidden, "/since one should not honor deniers with the very things
they deny. That violates the prohibition against obsequiousness."/ ( 19.
IM, OH, vol. 3, #21-22.19]