[Avodah] Does God Change His Mind?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 25 13:38:45 PST 2008

RYGB wrote:
: I don't know why no one else responded to you, but I
: would find it difficult to reply to someone who states "*I*
: disagree" with the Rambam, RSRH et al.

RMS shared what I believe is roughly the same sentiment when he wrote:
: While I find it difficult to reply to one who 'disagrees' with the Ari
: ZT'L.

It's not a matter of which side is right, but of assuming that any of
us have the ability to assess a question that they found disputable.

Detour into the matter of emunas chakhamim.... Ignoring declarations
made in bans that I do not follow the reasoning of...

There is something I'll call the Sinai Culture. Because nisqatnu
hadoros, in general members of later eras, products of more
dislocations since Moshe Rabbeinu a"h, have less of it. It's not a
matter of book knowledge as much as having the perspective, priorities
and etire gestalt. It's very much a culture, not a library.

The nearest any of us get to recreating that culture is the talmud
chakham. This is the concept chareidim call "da'as Torah", but the
basic idea is that Torah study changes how one perceives the world.
And the notion stands whether or not one buys into the consequences
chareidim feel da'as Torah implies.

It is from Torah gefeel, not Torah knowledge, that a poseiq draws his
authority. A guy with an IQ of 180 and a Bar Ilan CD is still not
qualified to be the poseiq acharon.

This notion is befeirush in the gemara (20a), nisqatnu hadoros is a
statement about declining willingness for mesiras nefesh, not
knowledge. (And in fact, knowledge increased in the span from Rebbe
until the protagnonists in the gemara -- Rav Papa and his rebbe,
Abayei.)

See also
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2007/02/midgets-on-the-shoulders-of-giants.shtml>

Thus, it takes a certain amount of caution when inserting oneself into
the question of the authenticity of Zoharic Qabbalah. Knowing data is
insufficient if one really doesn't have the same instinctive sense of
what Torah "feels like".