[Avodah] Love the ger - who?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Feb 21 16:13:37 PST 2008

Michael Makovi wrote:

> Now then, the question I have is, does anyone say that "ger"
> halachically includes ger toshav? I invited some controversy earlier
> on Avodah with my claim that Mesechet Gerim chap 2 does so. I think
> that Sifra, on the other hand, explicitly says that love the ger means
> only a ger tzedek. Rashi to Shemot 22:20 (I think) says that a ger
> includes any foreigner, even a Jew from another town - I don't know
> what his source is (anyone?) but he doesn't seem to limit ger to ger
> tzedek.

Sorry, that is not at all what Rashi is saying there.  His comment is
not on the first clause, "veger lo toneh", but on the second clause,
"ki gerim heyitem be'eretz Mitzrayim".  Rashi's intended five-year-old
audience might well wonder what our ancestors converted to in Egypt,
so Rashi explains that "ger" just means stranger.  He does not in any
way hint that the commandments on how to treat gerim apply to Jewish
travellers.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.