[Avodah] Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 20:45:49 PST 2008

In a message dated 2/14/2008, Avram.Sacks at wolterskluwer.com writes:

You wrote:   “it shows a lack of  kovod Shabbos to eat milchigs for Shabbos
lunch”
>>But what is  the halachic standard for “kavod shabbos”?  Is meat—any kind
of meat—the  standard? .... I would be surprised if you could anywhere in the
Shulchan  Arukh where it says that only roast chicken and/or brisket can bring
kavod to  the Shabbat table. ....Also, is it kavod-dik  to stuff yourself
with chicken and brisket, when all that your body  needs/wants is a piece of
gefillte fish and challah?
<<

The standard is basar vedagim.  If there is not some kind of fish AND  some
kind of meat, your Shabbos meal is lacking.  The fish can be herring  from a
jar, or tuna salad, though the gold standard is gefilte fish.  The  meat at
lunch can be cold chicken (thanks to Chazal who were kind enough to  make chicken
fleishig, for this very purpose).  Or the meat can be cold  cuts.  The gold
standard is cholent.  The hot food shows that you are  not a Sadducee or a
Karaite.

Because I am a milchig kind of person and not always so very hungry at
Shabbos lunch, I sometimes fudge and just eat the gefilte fish and challa, not
actually eating any meat but telling myself that I was yotzei because I at least
put meat on the table (cold cuts, even) and my husband and kids had meat.   I
also fudge with the cholent because in the Florida climate I don't always
feel  like making cholent, so I tell myself that a cup of hot tea after lunch is
also  proof we are not Tzadokim.  Also there is often cholent in shul, if
there's  a kiddush.

It is interesting to me how the milchig - vs - fleishig Shabbos meal is
another one of those sociological things that fall along a LW-RW Orthodox  divide.
 An entire list of such items would make for an interesting PhD  thesis.  The
general tendency (although there are many exceptions on both  sides of the
"divide") is for RW Orthodoxy to be more formal, LW more  informal.

--Toby  Katz

Awards. Go to AOL Music.