[Avodah] Not Making Kiddush Between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Feb 6 10:32:48 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> A couple of us were once invited to a shtiebl to run a singing minyan
> for Qabbalas Shabbos and Maariv. The rav was getting antsy at a few
> minutes to 6 EDT

EDT?  That's Summer Time, right?  He was observing this minhag
according to Summer Time?

> Also, our clocks are set according to time zone, not local time. 12:00
> is the middle between sunrise and sunset averaged over the year in the
> middle of the time zone

Not necessarily the middle of the zone.  Zone boundaries are drawn for
convenience, so the point that is an exact multiple of 15 (or 7.5 or 3.75)
degrees from Greenwich may be anywhere in the zone.  In any case, in the
Greater NYC area the adjustment due to Railroad time is 4 minutes, so
mean noon is at 11:56, and the "correct" hour of Mars is 5:56 to 6:56.
(In the eastern reaches of Queens it's 5 minutes, while in parts west
of Elizabeth it's 3 minutes.)

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.