[Avodah] Mussar

Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer ygbechhofer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:54:26 PST 2008

Weighing in somewhat late here in the conversation...

What is lacking in Reb Micha's otherwise masterly presentation of the
Mussar Derech, is the emphasis that it places on /yirah:/ Both /yiras
ha'romemus/ and /yiras ha'onesh/, but generally under the umbrella of
/yiras shomayim/.

The one time I spoke at one of Alan Morinis' confabs, I stressed the
integral and essential nature of the component of /yiras shomayim/ in
the Mussar /mahalach/. (I suspect that this emphasis is one of the
reasons I was not asked to ever speak for them again...)

As I wrote many years ago on Avodah, it is /yirah/ that is most closely
associated with /simchah/. Mussar without the true /yiras shomayim/ of
R' Avrohom Elya Kaplan is indeed a morose business. But the flip side is
that true /simchah/ is only achievable if one is working on Mussar - any
other /simchah/ is fleeting and temporary. Indeed, even the /simchah
/of  /Talmud Torah /is to a large extent contingent on being actually
involved in learning, in real time. Mussar gives one the satisfaction of
being a /Mevakesh Hashem/ at all times.

KT,

YGB