[Avodah] What would a Torah government look like

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 4 12:16:57 PST 2008

On Mon, January 28, 2008 10:48 pm, R Zev Sero wrote:
:> As for the topic of enforcing mitzvos bein adam laMaqom or mitzvos
:> shim'iyos... I think the advisability and permissability is sorely
:> curtailed by tov sheyihyu shogegin.

: Though mutav sheyihyu shogegin doesn't apply to explicit d'oraitot.

Filtered through the rishonim, this includes any de'oraisa in which
the din is like peshat in the pasuq. And the reason given is that
someone who still persists after tochakhah doesn't deserve our help as
much as kavod haTorah needs defending.

I wondered when learning this sugya, though, if the limitation was
specific to an era where the leading non-halachic Jewish culture
agreed on such mitzvos.

IOW, once the thought-space isn't about us vs the Tzeduqim, can we
really say that the authority of such mitzvos are more nispashtos and
their rejection any more peritzas geder than any other mitzvah?

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,