[Avodah] Kol Yisrael Areivim

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Sun Feb 3 15:04:49 PST 2008

<On Areivim, someone wrote "Come on ...., haven't you ever heard
expressions like ... 'kol yisrael areivim zeh lazeh'?"

To which someone else replied:
: I can't speak for ..., but I've never heard the latter expression
: except as a misquotation. It's "bazeh," not "lazeh."

Actually, it's a girsaos issue.

The Vilna Shas, Shavuos 39a, has "lazeh". Teimanim ad loc have "bazeh", and Mechon Mamre corrected accordingly. The same quote in Ein Yaaqov is "bazeh">

     I have two editions of the Vilna Shas: Vilna, 1887 (Rom) and New York, 1948 (Shulsinger).  Both have "bazeh" in Shavuos, as does the Chorev Shas.  There is no mention in Dikdukei Sof'rim of an alternate girsa.  Also, in Sanhedrin 27b it is "bazeh" in all the above.

<However, Rashi in Vayiqra 26:37 has "lazeh".>

     The Toras Kohanim (which is that Rashi's source) in the Malbim Chumash has "bazeh,"

EMT (the "someone else" cited above)