[Avodah] Beautiful Messianic Insight and Hope Excerpted from Rabbi D. Siegel & torah.org

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Jan 29 02:42:03 PST 2008

Chafetz Chaim raises the classic concern how the latest generations
consider meriting the advent of Mashiach? If previous generations who
were
undoubtedly more pious than ours did not merit Mashiach how could our
shameful generation merit him? Chafetz Chaim answers that, on the
contrary, no
generation ever qualified for Mashiach as much as ours. He explains
that in previous times, mitzva observance was, basically, a foregone
conclusion. It
did not require endless self sacrifice and had therefore had
relatively limited value. In our days, however, foreign influences are
so rampant that even basic
mitzva observance requires tremendous devotion and sacrifice. In
present times, we may add, morality has fallen so low that attaining
any level of purity and self
negation is a tremendous accomplishment. In this light every mitzva
has such great value that we, above all, display Hashem's greatest
glory. Hashem undoubtedly
tells His angels, "Look at My people who manage to remain moral and
pure even in their corrupt and free thinking environment." "Can anyone
bring Me greater
glory than them?!"

ri