[Avodah] What would a Torah government look like

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:41:19 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 2:34 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> (I think this thread belongs here, not Areivim. Reposting accordingly.
> Feel free to do the same, add replies, etc...)
>
> The Torah describes a system of checks and balances between three
> branches of gov't.
>
> The judicial branch, comprised of Beis Din haGadol and the rabbinate.
> The kehunah, providing moral, educational and spiritual leadership.
> The executive branch which had its own internal checks and balances
> between the melekh and his court navi.
>
> The melukhah, nevu'ah and kehunah each had to be distinct people.
> Either could (and often did) serve on beis din. And so, we speak of
> Shlomo ubeis dino. And yet, David listened to Nasan, even though it's
> hard to believe that meant Nasan was the greater navi.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

I agree with your concept of separation of powers but who says David was a
navi?
Why would he be a GREATETR Navi than Nassan.
Writing Kessuvim is in no way a raya that he was a navi at all
And FWIWavid was rebuked by Gad as well as by  Nassam

In parahsa Shoftim the idea of a Naiv is not about people with nevu'ah it's
a specific civic office -sort of ombudsman.  So even if Moshe rabbeinu
somehow was Melech he STILL might have an official NAVI question his
behavior if it were out-of-line. And not justt Nassn but Gad too.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com