[Avodah] Hopeful Vision

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 17:52:18 PST 2008

To Rabbi Akiva, what was most important was the transcending of the
world
and its limitations, and hence in a mitzvah the essential element was
what was
common to each, that it embodies the will of God which has no
limitations.
Therefore he says that the Israelites responded primarily to this common
element in receiving the Torah and they said "yes" to positive and
negative
alike.

We can in fact go deeper in our understanding of Rabbi Akiva's
statement.
When he says that the Israelites said "yes" to the negative
commandments, this
was not simply that they sensed in them the element common to all
expressions of
God's will; but more strongly, that they only saw what was positive
even in
a negative thing-the holiness that an act of restraint brings about.

This sheds light on the supernatural statement in the Torah that the
Israelites "heard what was normally seen." For since the physical
world's
existence was for them only an intellectual perception and the only
sensed
reality was the existence of God, they could not sense the existence
of things
which opposed holiness ("the other gods") but saw only the act of
affirmation
involved in "Thou shall have no other gods."

We can see this orientation of Rabbi Akiva very clearly in the story
related
in the Talmud, that Rabban Gamliel, Rabbi Elazar ben Azariah, Rabbi
Joshua and
Rabbi Akiva were on a journey and decided to return to Jerusalem
(after the
destruction of the second Temple). When they reached Mt. Scopus they
rent
their garments. When they reached the Temple Mount, they saw a fox
emerging from
the Holy of Holies and they began to weep-but Rabbi Akiva laughed.
They asked
him: "Why are you laughing?" and he replied: "Why are you weeping?"
They said, it
is written, "the common man who goes near (to the Holy of Holies)
shall die,''
and now foxes enter it-should we not cry?

He said, "this is why I laugh. For it is written 'And I will take to
Me faithful
witnesses, Uriah the priest and Zechariah the son of Jeberechiah.' Now
what
connection has Uriah with Zechariah? Uriah lived during the times of the
First Temple, while Zechariah prophesied at the time of the second.
But the Torah
links the prophecies of both men. Uriah wrote, 'therefore shall
Zion,because of
you, be plowed like a field.' And Zechariah wrote 'Yet shall old men and
women sit in the broad places of Jerusalem.' So long as Uriah's
prophecy had not
been fulfilled, I was afraid that Zechariah's would not be. Now that
it has, it
is certain that Zechariah's will come true."

Even in the darkest moment of Jewish history-when foxes ran freely in
the
Holy of Holies, Rabbi Akiva saw only the good: That this was proof
that the
serene and hopeful vision of Zechariah would be vindicated.
Adapted from Chabad  "Torah Stories"

My personal feelings have been very optimistic also for another
reason. It
is our traditional belief that God knows everything that will ever
occur.
Hence, if the end of man were to be total evil, then it seems unlikely
that
God would have created a world doomed to failure.
ri