[Avodah] Ribis and LH re: Non Jews - Crossing Threads

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:01:06 PST 2008

Here is a simple distinction - how we beahve towards our fellow Jews - as
opossed to Gentiles - are set by a different criteria

Let me reiterate what I consider a core Torah Princciple - Kedoshim  [QTYD}
is about fostering a mamleches kohanim vgomer
Or as I term it" Aa JUST and HOLY society"

As a SOCIETY" Ribis and LH would foster eretz ochecls yoshveha c"v. We must
have a co-operative and mutally respectful [even LOVING] society all based
upon v'havta lerei'acha kamocha etc.....  Thus we have a strict code of
conductt to foster achicha, amecha. amisecha, etc.

With a Gentile, these practices fall under a different rubric.  Ribis is OK
because it is not necessarily intrinsically evil just unaccepatble within
our society. Perhaps charging a Gentile exorbitant usury would be immoral -
but for other reasons.

With LH the criteria for keeping a unified loving society is different than
the criteria for avoiding self-destructive behavior.  LH about a fellow Jew-
especially a fellow Observant Jew - must be allowed only under a real need.
The need to say LH about a Gentile might meet a much lower threshold, any
objective or obnoxious behavior by a Gentile might produce a legitimate
To'eles... etc.

Think of Am Yisroel as a big family and that behavior within that unit must
be on a very high plane.  Behavior re: Gentiles is held to a much looser
standard so long as it does not produce Hillul Hashem, violate gezel, or
damge one's own nehsama, there is more room to maneuver.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com