[Avodah] manipulating bodily energies

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jan 13 19:58:24 PST 2008

kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
> R' Zev Sero responded:
>> I believe in Yiddishkeit - if you choose describe it as
>> monotheistic, then so be it, I'm a monotheist; but if you
>> then change the definition of monotheism so that
>> Yiddishkeit no longer fits it, then fine, I'm not a
>> monotheist.
>
> This discussion will not make any progress unless and until we get a
> working definition of the word "monotheism".
>
> I am very tempted to offer my views on this topic. However, since RZS
> has accused RRW of changing the definition, I would suggest that RZS
> should expand on his post, and explain what he thinks the original
> definition was, and what he thinks RRW changed the definition to.

On the contrary, I'm not interested in discussing and refining the
definition of "monotheism" because I don't think it matters in the
least.  My point is that I'm not at all attached to the word "monotheist".
If the definition you happen to be using matches Yiddishkeit as I
understand it then I'm happy to be called a monotheist; If you choose
to define it in a way that excludes my religion, then I'm equally happy
not to be one.  So attacking my religion on the grounds that it's not
monotheistic doesn't impress me.  I think what RRW has done is go from
a concrete to an abstract, become attached to that abstraction,
analysed it, and then used it to criticise the original.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.