[Avodah] [Areivim] "Blei Gissen" should we believe in this?

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 06:20:10 PST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 2:43 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> To which I reply, have you seen Perek Bameh Ishah?  I don't know how
> someone can state with a straight face that the Amoraim did not believe
> in or use segulot and amulets.  One can argue with the Rambam that they
> were mistaken in so doing, but to deny that they did so in the first
> place?
> --
> Zev Sero

There is no question that many Tannaim and Amoraim used kameios, and
accepted them to be carried in Reshus Harrabim etc.

What is unclear is how wer they effective? if they had a certain Tefillah or
affirmation [e.g. this amulet wil bring a refuah shleima to its wearer ...]
then it might not have worked by means of "magic" but rather by means of
"positive thi9nking" similar to a pacebo.  IOW the amulet might have been
used to psychological hizzuk and not as a superstitious chachka.

I don't know if the above is fact.  It is simply my understanding that a lot
of spiritual practices work on the conscious and subconscious mind of the
individual = maybe on the neshama level if you will [psyche is Greek for
soul iirc]

Some rationalists ridivuculed Emil Coue's positive affirmation school, but
others have used his techniques with success. many athlets and sports
coaches use these techniques with success.

Bottom line:

   1.  kameyas were approved by many [iif not all of] Hazal
   2.  their power might not quite be the popular notion of "magic" but
   of spiritua;l/psycholigcal hizzuk

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com