[Avodah] kabbalah - a Torah concept?

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:17:27 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 6:43 PM, Daniel Eidensohn <yadmoshe at 012.net.il> wrote:

> What I am trying to clarify is whether the concept of "kabbala" is
> expressed in the Torah at all - even it the term "kabbala" doesn't
> appear. Does the term "kabbala" indicate a radical change in
> understanding relationships that is alien to the peshat of the Torah? Or
> am I simply making too much out of the issue.
>
> Daniel Eidensohn

Dislaimer: please read this  completely before reacting
Tamim tihyer Lashem Elokecha.  Kabbalh AISI is not necessary in consonance
with mainstream Torah concepts; aderabbah, it can be said to oppose many of
them

OTOH, I am convinced tht ther wer ALWAYS yechiei Seuglah that WERE into the
esoteric/mystical/neo-Platonic/Gnostic etc. side of things.  And many wer
proablbly nevi'im and some hachahim like R. Akiva and R. S. Bar Yochai.

The problem with kabbalh imho is simple: it should remain the province of a
few esoteric yehciiddim and its very popularity is its problem. I  am not
sure if Maddona's use [abuse?] of Kabbalh is any more egregous than the sue
of all kinds of Jews  [frum and not frum] whose feet are not on the ground.

As one of my mentors [R. Mordechai Aderet] has said: "Kabbalah w/o Shas
and/or Rambam is dangerous and ungrounded.  One must be rooted in the real
nuts and bolts of Torah first.

Kabbalah for the masses is like putting a high school physics student in
charge of a nuclear  power plant.  it makes no sense. Look at how many false
Messiahsin history succeeded in duping the masses. I  rest my case.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com