[Avodah] kabbalah - a Torah concept?

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Thu Jan 10 15:43:39 PST 2008

It was recently pointed out to me that the Torah does not contain the
word "kibail" - received. The concept of mesora is typically expressed
by "kabblah".  A brief survey seems to indicate that transmission that
continues to be a manifestation of the source is expressed by this term.
Thus our mesorah from Sinai is our kabbala. It seems to be qualitatively
different than saying something was given or taken whereby the object is
either in one domain or the other. In other words in Torah terminolgy
the Torah was given. Thus it is not in Heaven anymore but in the domain
of man on earth. In contrast in the terms of Chazal the concept of
kabbala would connote that the Torah of Heaven was transmitted through
Moshe to us - but it is still in Heaven. Thus kabbala increases the
participation but does not constitute an absolute transfer. We also find
that the Prophets are referred to as "divrei kabbala" and we know that
Torah can not be learned from divrei kabbala. "Kabbala" seems to be a
neoplatonic understanding of reality. As in Kabbala itself - everything
is contained in everything else. Without the term kabbala - reality is
as you see it and it is not a manifestation of a deeper reality.

What I am trying to clarify is whether the concept of "kabbala" is
expressed in the Torah at all - even it the term "kabbala" doesn't
appear. Does the term "kabbala" indicate a radical change in
understanding relationships that is alien to the peshat of the Torah? Or
am I simply making too much out of the issue.

Daniel Eidensohn