[Avodah] [Areivim] abayudaya

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:20:39 PST 2008

Forwarding a thread from Areivim to Avodah:

*Saul Z Newman Posted:*
http://www.ugandamission.org/news/Abayudaya.htm

http://tinyurl.com/ywrwng

*I Posted:*
... I heard they converted through the conservative movement. It is highly
likely that the reason they converted through conservative is that they
didn't know better. It is also highly likely that when they converted they
did so with full intention to practice halacha 100% (even if they didn't
know quite what that meant). As such it is possible that they are really
Jewish - but I don't know.

*Zev Sero Responded:*
Not if the dayanim were pesulim.  Three hedyotot can convert, even if
they shouldn't, but three apikorsim cannot.

*I replied but got moderated to Avodah:*
This might be for Avodah but i'm not sure.
I guess this is just the question of whether anyone alive today can be
considered an Apikores or just a Tinok Shenishba. I doubt anyone involved in
the conversion knew Shas.

On a similar but sad note, there is a Gemarrah in Brachot which says that
one cannot name a shul "Beth Am" because it connotes a place of communal
gathering rather than avodat Hashem, but googling "beth Am" gives the
following: " Results 1 - 10 of about 944,000 for beth Am. (0.21 seconds) "
What is sad is not that that many congregations voted to name their shuls by
a name explicitely assur in the Gemarrah, but that none of their Rabbi's
actually learned (or cared about) the first tractate of Shas to know it's
forbidden at all.
~Liron