[Avodah] "Blei Gissen" should we believe in this?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 17:24:45 PST 2008

I just sent out:
: As RZS already noted, though, it is hard then to make heads or tails
: of pereq Bameh Ishah. The discussion on Shabbos 61 is about medical
: kemei'os. This gets into the whole question of what is wrong with
: "whispering". As well as the question recently asked on another thread
: about placebo effect.

But I didn't say my own take... I would guess they're extra-halachic
mnemonic devices, aids to kavanah, that cite a pasuq or keta that
inspires the wearer. Thus, reducing kemei'os to sechar va'onesh. (As
I'm trying to do to all these references.)

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,