[Avodah] kinetic healing and halacha

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:42:51 PST 2008

I might be mistaken, but I think the Sefer Hachinuch defines Kishuf as the
mixing of different physical components in such a way that they create an
effect in heaven. Since every object on this world has a spiritual
counterpart in shamayim, "playing" with physical objects in certain ways
mixes up their spiritual mirror as well.

With this definition it seems more likely that pharmacology would be more
likely Kishuf than any form of pseudo-science.

As a side note, I have an uncle who (I might add is very scientifically
minded and) had some back problems which just wouldn't go away. I don't
remember the exact story but through some chain of events (he knew someone
who knew someone who had met this guy or something) he ended up going to
this really quack of an alternative-medicine-guy, who made his problems go
away almost entirely in just 2 or 3 sessions, so there is something to it,
even if it's just the placebo effect.

~Liron