[Avodah] kinetic healing and halacha

Gila Atwood gila at atwood.co.il
Tue Jan 8 19:24:32 PST 2008

This post is probably more for areivim than for avodah but the question was
asked here...

Some of them claim to be 'manipulating bodily energies'. (hints of co'hos
hatumah? reiki comes to mind... )  More like shtus gamur and where it works
it's purely placebo effect, (often ironically an effective cure for
illnesses that are psychosomatic in the first place) and at a nice price!

I knew a woman for years, sick in the head, who totally bought into AK and
related charlatanry.  One example. She felt she needed a treatment and had
her husband take her across town for 200 shekel for something that was
little more than a hand waving ceremony.  She went home, lay down,  suddenly
did not feel quite right and had her husband take her again same day, . The
practioner knew her, didn't blink, gave her another 'treatment' , another
200 shekel.   Their landlord was usually left waiting for the rent and it
came out they were more than 15 grand in debt.   The woman was delusional
and these charlatans were milking her.

Another case, Har Nof, one of these 'energy practioners' told the parents
NOT to take a baby to a regular doctor, he'd take care of her.  She died of
meningitis.

Years ago my friends and I interviewed one of these psychic energies healers
for a magazine. She walked past our son (at the time obviously sick with
pneumonia)  several times and curiously did not notice....

Shall I go on?  At the time I was so furious I had an article about it
published somewhere under a pseudonym to warn people.  Many don't like this
hushed up because they say for some people it works, does wonders etc, but
the above examples disturb me too much. I had a huge long (but friendly)
argument with the owner of a large mailing list for immigrants who was
allowing ads on his list for such practitioners but was not allowing posts
to warn people. Violation of 'policy'.