[Avodah] [Areivim] "Blei Gissen" should we believe in this?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jan 8 11:43:52 PST 2008

On Areivim Daniel Wells wrote:

> But coming back to mezuza-readers see the following in the section about
> ketuvot:
> http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:pbaDNkbt7hgJ:www.seliyahu.org.il/parasha/par5760/epar60048.rtf+mezuzah-reader&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2
> <http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:pbaDNkbt7hgJ:www.seliyahu.org.il/parasha/par5760/epar60048.rtf+mezuzah-reader&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2>

The URL ( http://tinyurl.com/2f5cr6 ) points to a piece by R Aviner,
in which he says: "These are our spiritual resources, and there is no
need to look for all kinds of strange things. Where are all of these
strange things mentioned? In the Torah? In Scripture? In the Mishnah?
Is it written that when our great sages had troubles, they used segulot,
with mezuzot and amulets? Where have we heard of such a thing? Not in
the Torah, not in the Mishnah and not in the Talmud."

To which I reply, have you seen Perek Bameh Ishah?  I don't know how
someone can state with a straight face that the Amoraim did not believe
in or use segulot and amulets.  One can argue with the Rambam that they
were mistaken in so doing, but to deny that they did so in the first
place?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.