[Avodah] Kashrut of Cloning

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 12:24:33 PST 2008

> http://www.foodqualitynews.com/news/ng.asp?id=13575-fda-declares-cloning
> 2) If kosher, are they still considered meat?

>> Again, why not?  What svara would suggest otherwise?

We know that a mother who is schechted and then gives live birth, the
baby is "dead". And if that calf grows up and has children, they're
all "dead" too, and onwards, and there's no chiyuv to schecht.

I haven't read the literature on this issue, but I could see how one
could hold that d'oraita, a cloned animal would be considered not a
real creature, having not come from a womb, and thus not liable for
schechting.

Mikha'el Makovi