[Avodah] BO "My Sin Is Not A Perfume"

Richard Wolberg CANTORWOLBERG at COX.NET
Sun Jan 6 10:08:27 PST 2008

Take a look in chapter 10, p'sukim 16 and 17.  After the utter
devastation of the locust, Par'o quickly summons Moshe and Aharon and
announces to them that he has sinned against God... and them. "I have
sinned" is CHATA'TI, with the accent is Mil'eil: cha-TA-ti. Note also
that the TET does not have a DAGESH in it. In the next pasuk, Par'o
asks that his sin be forgiven... "My sin" is also CHATATI'. Looks the
same, except that the accent is MILRA', on the last syllable. cha-ta-
TI. And the TET has a DAGESH. In Ashkenazic pronunciation, as you well
know, the words also sound a bit different, because one has a KAMATZ
under the CHET and the other one has a PATACH under the CHET.
CHAWTAWSI (I have sinned) and CHATAWSI (my sin). The accents are still
MIL'EIL and MILRA' respectively.                               ri

A devout clergyman was asked by one of his parishioners to explain the
doctrine of election. His reply was: "You know what an election is
when we elect the president or the governor. In the Kingdom of God
there is always an election going on. Only three votes are cast. The
Lord always votes for you. The devil always votes against you. And YOU
have the deciding
vote.
Anonymous