[Avodah] biur

Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org
Wed Feb 13 09:17:18 PST 2008

from hakhel---

?Question:
I have a bottle of Carmel wine in my house that has been sitting there for
a few years now.  There is no hechsher on it, but says that it is ?yivul
shevi?is, al pi heter mechira-Rabbanut Reishit.?  What can I do with it?

?Answer:
There is a mitzvah called ?bi?ur?.  This means that once produce is no
longer available in the field in the Shemittah year, one must remove this
type of food from his house.  With respect to wine, the time for bi?ur is
Pesach of the eighth year (5769).  If a person receives or accidentally
buys a bottle of heter mechirah wine after this time, he may not drink it
or give it to anybody.  The forbidden wine should not be poured down the
drain, as this degrades its sanctity.  Rather, it should be poured out
over a non-fertile area far from trees and plants, in order not to benefit
from it.  The wine you have is from last Shemittah, so the time of bi?ur
has certainly arrived, and you must dispose of it properly, as set forth
above.?

question---  the wine that is past biur, it would be muttar if it was not
hetter mechira?  why did they bring that in?  was it to say that it was
assur both before AND  after biur?

are there any bnai tora [as oppossed to amcha or amaratzim] who are
holding by hetter mechira?