[Avodah] Apocrypha

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 09:30:55 PST 2008

>From [Avodah] "Borei nefashos rabbos VECHESRONAM"

I (Mikha'el Makovi) had said
>In the Apocrypha, for example, IV Ezra, quoted by Rabbi
> Leo Adler in The Biblical View of Man (Urim Publications), it
> is argued that man is doomed by Adam to sin, without
> hope of rising from sin. Different sections of Enoch argue
> that fallen angels or other extra-human means brought evil.
> Another part of Enoch swears that evil is due to man's free
> will - Rabbi Adler notes that if an oath is necessary to affirm
> this, it was apparently a hotly debated question.

R' Micha said
> PS: I deleted all the Apocrypha discussion because without
> Chazal telling me which pesuqim are in line with Yahadus,
> and which got the book excluded from Tanakh, it's not a
> source.

Are you saying that without Chazal mentioning Sefer Enoch, we can't be
sure which pesukim of it are kosher and wish aren't? Do we really need
Chazal to explicitly tell us that Enoch's original sin is unkosher? It
seems to me quite obvious that even if the book was excluded for some
other reason (even many 100% kosher books didn't make it either,
because the author was no one special, etc.), it is certain to me that
these ideas in Enoch certainly didn't help its case.

Mikha'el Makovi