[Avodah] abayudaya

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Sat Jan 12 20:44:33 PST 2008

In Avodah Digest V25#18, RZS wrote:
> The gemara is Shabbos 32a. The fault condemned is that of referring to
the holy by common terms, as if it were not special.  Specifically,
referring to the aron kodesh as a "cupboard", and to the shul as a
"public house".  IOW the point isn't what you *name* something, it's
what you *call* it, which shows how you *regard* it. <
And, it seems to me (considering not just how one regards an object or
place of q'dushah but how one utilizes it), that b'raisa implies that the
"k'nesses" aspect of a "beis k'nesses" doesn't indicate ordinary
"gathering."  Would any gathering for the sake of a mitzva remove it from
what RaShY ad loc. describes as the "l'shon bizui" of "beis am," or do only
certain "gathering"s qualify?  The way I understand MaHaRSHA ad loc., the
chiluq is whether the gathering is l'sheim Shamayim.  To try to get back to
an earlier point in this thread: one doesn't need to be a skilled sailor of
yam shel haTalmud to be a y'rei Shamayim.  Thanks.

Gut Voch and all the best from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager