[Avodah] Kashering Corningware

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 21 07:02:04 PDT 2006

Here's some info on the metzi'us of these substances.

I'm not. Here's the description of corelle, from corelle.com:
> Corelle glass dinnerware is made through a hub lamination process that
> thermally bonds three layers of glass: core glass in the middle, with top
> and bottom layers of very clear skin or glaze glass. The process creates
> a lightweight, durable, multi-layered product.  In addition, the unique
> enamels used during the decorating process actually become part of the glass,
> so the patterns last as long as the plate.

So, corelle should be like pyrex, it's a glass containing non-silicates.

Corningware is a weird substance bifnei azmah. As already mentioned
corningware falls, it explodes. The surface tension, when broken, pushes the
peices. I just went to corningware.com to get an explanation, but it seems the
stuff is obsolete:
> The original CorningWare(R) bakeware which was first introduced in 1958,
> was made of a glass-ceramic material that could be used on the stove, in
> the oven and under the broiler. After World Kitchen acquired the brand in
> the late 1990's, CorningWare products were switched to ceramic stoneware
> production.

I'm obviously asking about the pre-ceramic stuff.

-mi
http://www.aishdas.org/asp