[Avodah] Rhyming

hankman salman at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 11 11:05:49 PDT 2006

Not that I can think of but at least two places play with sounds:
1. re Nechash hanechoshet -- im noshach hanachash etc

2. My father alav hashalom always pointed out: grammatically we use mah with
a patach or kamatz except in front of a guttural letter (see eg Mah anu, Meh
chayeenu in Leolam yehei adam).
One exception: in the haftorah re Shaul and Amalek Shmuel hanavi says to
Shaul:   Meh Kol Hatzon?

Why Meh and not mah?
Think about it -- what noise do sheep make? Me'e'eh
CM notes:
My dikduk is almost nonexistent so I could easily be wrong, but I will stick my neck out anyway even though I would be wiser not to venture an opinion.
I was told that mah or moh precedes what we would call a vowel  while meh precedes what we would call a consonant. I imagine that a "guttural" letter = a "vowel" or is there a difference?
The point being to make pronunciation easier.

An example:  Bameh madlikin ubamoh ain madlikin