[Avodah] virtual ona'ah

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Tue Aug 29 06:00:31 PDT 2006

Re: My son plays an online game which includes an economic component-people
make virtual things and buy and sell them for virtual money..  ..Would we
say that there
is implicit consent since everyone has agreed to play buy the rules,
or is there a general issur of deception even in a game that encourages
deception (would that make it assur to play "Diplomacy"?).

1) ona'ah is muter wrt a nJew (making the game question a mute one)

2) although a game that encourages deception is not technically assur, it
sure isn't good for one's midos training.

(I'm not familiar with the game Diplomacy)

KT,
Mordechai Cohen