[Avodah] Kashering Corningware

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 14:51:58 PDT 2006

"Beach Runner" <Bob4Health at hotmail.com> wrote the following to  scjm:

>> "Corningware" is a very wide product line that includes  many diverse
> products. The unique product, Correll is rather unique.  Correll was
> originally produced by accident, when an oven lost control  and went
> exponentially higher than it was supposed to. It produced a new  material
> with unique characteristics.

> The surface tension  was much stronger, making it very non-reactive.
> In fact, it is nothing  like glazed dishes. It contains much internal
> energy that makes in  non-reactive and thus, doesn't interact with food
> or chemicals. While  the bonds that keep it non reactive are strong,
> when it does break, it  explodes. <<

.
Thank you to RMB for posting this.   I have indeed noticed that  my Corelle
plates, when they fall on my tiled floor, do not just  break, but shatter in a
million pieces and scatter all over the kitchen.   I.e., they explode.
Fascinating.  What I want to know though,  is not whether you can kasher Corelle,
but something different:  do you  have to tovel Corelle?

Every year or so I go off and buy a few new bowls and plates  to replace the
ones that have exploded in the course of the year, and then  I don't let
anyone use the new ones until I get around to tovelling them, which,  depending on
how many Avodahs there are in my inbox to read and respond to, can  take a
while.  My husband says that Corelle does not need tevillah but  I think they are
at least safek glass and therefore insist on tovelling  them, usually along
with a few metal things (to replace the odd spoon and  fork that accidentally
got thrown in the garbage in the course of the year) in  order to obviate any
shailah of whether safek glass needs a bracha when  tovelling.  Shattered
plates and discarded silverware tell you more  than you probably wanted to know
about my housekeeping skills, but at least I am  conscientious about halacha --
or try to be.  Truthfully, even if you tell  me that my husband is right, I
will probably continue to tovel Corelle, but I am  curious what the olam thinks.

Kesiva vechasima tova

--Toby  Katz