[Avodah] Nishtaneh Hateva in modern women

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Mon Sep 4 22:18:28 PDT 2006

>From: hankman <salman at videotron.ca>
>Subject: Re: [Avodah] Pregnant women's sakana brought on by sense of
>	smell
>
> <BIG SNIP>
>BTW, it seems to be generally accepted that we already apply the idea
of
>nishtane hateva wrt to the menstrual cycle of modern women as different
>from
>that in the time of chazal.

Could you elaborate? If you are referring to vest kavauh, the nishtaneh
was (at least in major part) the invention of indoor electric lighting.
A woman can induce more regular periods if she goes to sleep at sundown
with the light in the room reflecting the moons light; i.e. a full moon
= a small night light, no moon = darkness.

This would jibe with women in Yerusalem 50 years ago, as well as poor
women in Africa.

KT,
MSS