[Avodah] Putting oneself in danger

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Aug 31 05:16:28 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/31/2006 2:18:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
salman at videotron.ca writes:

R' Chaim Manaster wrote:
>>....They
surrounded them on  four sides. R. Nosson says they left the fourth side
open "kedai  sheyivrechu," so that they c[s]hould run away. He asks why
should R.  Nosson allow them to get away? [gave a long answer]<<

.
TK: >>Please excuse me if I'm saying something so obvious that of  /course/
you already knew this, but -- the pshat is, if you don't allow a  defeated
enemy an escape route, you corner him and force him to fight to the  death -- thus
leading to unnecessary deaths among your own  men.<<

CM:  >>Sure, but that was not my point. My point was the  "[gave a long
answer]" that you seem to have ignored.<<
.
I didn't /ignore/ your long answer, I responded that I didn't see the need
for it, since there was a simpler and more obvious explanation.  You now
respond that not everyone agrees with the simple explanation -- well, OK.   But
what you probably should have done in the first place is say what problems  in
the simple explanation necessitated a less obvious and more convoluted
explanation.

--Toby  Katz