[Avodah] Pregnant women's sakana brought on by sense of smell

Dr. Josh Backon backon at vms.huji.ac.il
Thu Aug 31 11:03:32 PDT 2006

At 03:15 AM 8/31/2006 -0400, hankman wrote:
>Thank you for your response, but from the nature of your response I gather
>that this was quite a stretch and that you were grasping at straws in order
>to interpret divrei chazal. I say this because instead of simply quoting any
>standard medical text on diseases and their description, you chose to search
>out some far flung research journals (i.e., not things that are well known

You asked for the **normal** situation (pregnant woman). I didn't discuss the
pathophysiology of hyperosmia [uncinate gyrus epilepsy, migraine,
adrenocortical
insufficiency, very rare cases of drug reaction).

The gemara in Yoma (and the Shulchan Aruch ORACH CHAYIM 617:2) discuss the
case of a pregnant woman on Yom Kippur.

>to every medical practitioner for the last 2000 years, things not well
>proven and accepted as fact but still experimental and being researched and
>based on the research you cite some of which is not accepted by all and in
>dispute). You cite a study on rabbits and another on mother's diet and

Excuse me ? I provided the LATEST research on the subject [references below]
That very recent research has debunked the theory that pregnant women are more
sensitive to odors has to be taken into consideration by poskim. And I showed
that the latest research on the fetus being sensitive to odors shows that
Rashi
was 101% correct (950 years ago).

>neonates and the effect on their sense of smell, but we are discussing
>humans in utero. Furthermore, the research you cite (based on their titles,
>I have not read them, please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption
>from the titles) does not refer to any danger to life, immediate or
>otherwise, based on disregarding the desire brought on by the smell.

There is a neuropsychiatric component to hyperosmia and I mentioned this.
But you have it farblondjet: it's not that the odor causes the uncontrollable
desire to eat; it's the histrionic personality of other medical condition that
sensitizes the organism to the odor.

Could that be considered "life threatening" ? The gemara never hints at this.
Indeed, anything "life threatening" would engender the concept of "pikuach
nefesh"
so your question is meaningless. It could, however, be in the category of
"ahnus"
where the person has an uncontrollable desire brought about by other
factors.

>Also, Bulimia Nervosa is a condition where at best, the time for risk to
>life is measured in years or decades, not the same day.

You're aqain bringing in a strawman argument since NO ONE refers to or
discusses
any immediate risk let alone pikuach nefesh.

>If I am wrong in any of my above assertions, I will gladly defer to you as I
>am only a lay person in these matters.

You should make like Greyhound and leave the driving to us :-)

Reread all the references I provided below.

Josh