[Avodah] idols in museums

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Thu Aug 17 05:31:50 PDT 2006

I don't know if anyone here has been to the archaeology museum in
Jerusalem. It's a fascinating place, and seeing actual pieces of the
history of Eretz Yisrael is just inspiring.

What I'm wondering, though, particularly as someone who does a lot
of research into ancient history, is whether there's any heter for
not destroying the idols that are on display at a place like that.
When Hashem commanded us to destroy all of those idols, was there an
exception for idols we put in museums? I mean, some of those artifacts
are priceless, and are extremely valuable from a historical perspective.
But does that matter?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the question had been addressed.

Lisa