[Avodah] Hakhel Email Community Awareness Bulletin-Father of Compassion

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Wed Aug 16 04:53:11 PDT 2006

We've had discussions of the appropriateness of a day other than tisha
b'av to commemerate loss (e.g Yom Hazikaron). I thought the groep might
find this of interest as far as a RW approach.

KT
Joel Rich

From: Hakhel MIS [mailto:postmaster at hakhel.info]
FATHER OF COMPASSION

In the Kinoh we recite on Tisha B'Av over the Shoah written by HaRav
Schwab, Z'TL, we plead to Hashem that He "remember the moans and
tumultuous screams...every tremble, every groan, every piercing cry",
and that not even one of the billions of atrocities committed against our
people during the Shoah be forgotten or forgiven by His court of judgment.

Today is the third anniversary, more appropriately--the third Yahrtzeit,
of the #2 bus bombing in Yerushalayim, in which men, women and children
who were already Kedoshim and Tehorim became even greater Kedoshim and
Tehorim as they left this world.

In order to more appropriately remember, we provide below the English
translation (as set forth in the Artscroll Siddur, Ashkenaz Edition Page
455) of the Av HaRachamim which we recite on Shabbos morning before the
Mussaf Shemone Esrei. Once we take these words and apply them to the
memories we all have of that horrifying day, we should take the lesson
to recite Av HaRachamim every Shabbos with a level of Kavanah which is
befitting the Kedoshim throughout the ages--those great individuals,
young and old, man and woman, Rav and layman, who left this world in the
holiest and purest of circumstances. We should revere their memories, and
we should recognize that their passing while sanctifying the Name of G-d
brings unfathomable and eternal zechuyos for them and all of Klal Yisroel.

AV HARACHAMIM
Father of compassion, Who dwells on high, in His powerful compassion may
He recall with compassion the devout, the upright, and the perfect ones;
the holy congregations who gave their lives for the Sanctification of
the Name--who were beloved and pleasant in t
death were not parted [from G-d]. They were quicker than eagles and
stronger than lions to do their Creator's will and their Rock's desire.
May our G-d remember them for good with the other righteous of the world.
May He, before our eyes, exact retribution for the spilled blood of
His servants, as is written in the Torah of Moses, the man of G-d:
"O nations, sing the praise of His people for He will avenge the blood
of His servants and He will bring retribution upon His foes; and He will
appease His land and His people." And by Your servants, the prophets,
it is written saying: "Though I cleanse [the enemy]--their bloodshed I
will not cleanse when Hashem dwells in Zion." And in the Holy Writings it
is said: "Why should the nations say, 'Where is their G-d?' Let there
be known among the nations, before our eyes, revenge for Your servants'
spilled blood." And it says: 'For the Avenger of blood has remembered
them; He has not forgotten the cry of the humble." And it says: "He
will judge the corpse-filled nations, He will crush the leader of the
mighty land. From a river along the way he shall drink--therefore he
may proudly lift his head."

The outstanding note in the Artscroll (ibid.) points out: "We do not pray
that we be strong enough to avenge our martyrs; Jews are not motivated by
a lust to repay violence and murder with violence and murder. Rather we
pray that G-d choose how and when to atone for the blood of His fallen
martyrs. For the living, decency and integrity remain the primary goals
of social life. (R' Hersch)."

Before we go back to continue our tasks, we should take an additional
moment to feel the pain of all of the families affected by this mass
murder--and set aside some charity as a zechus for all of the niftarim,
and their families that have remained with us in this world.