[Avodah] Rhyming in Tanach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 29 07:04:28 PDT 2006

On Mon, August 28, 2006 3:00 pm, R Dr. Josh Backon wrote:
: R. Moshe Yehuda Gluck asked:
:>Is rhyming ever used in Tanach?
:
: Think of the alliteration in Ha'Azinu and in V'Zoht ha'Bracha...
: While not rhyme, there is also extensive use of acrostics (Tehillim 9, 10,
: 25, 34, 37, 119; Mishlei 31:10-31; Eicha)....

After bentching one Shabbos, my son suggested the following reason why rhyming
doesn't play the same role in lashon haqodesh as it may in other languages.
(Assuming it doesn't.)

In a language with heavy diqduq, rhyming is easy and commonplace. The example
that sparked the idea was "AviNU, MalkeiNU, AdireiNU, Bore'eiNU, Go'aleiNU,
YotzereiNU, QedosheiNU..." (which is how I remember it came up after
bentching).

Similarly, picture rhyming "-hem" (or "tivi'eimo vesita'eimo").

IOW, the Tanakh uses rhyming most times that a woman is the protagonist!

In which case, it's hard to see it as a significant feature of the text.

-mi
http://www.aishdas.org/asp