[Avodah] Pregnant women's sakana brought on by sense of smell

hankman salman at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 28 21:21:37 PDT 2006

Any medical types on the list? Is there any syndrome known to modern medicine that sounds like the Mishna on Yoma 82a about a pregnant woman who may eat on Yom Kippur to satisfy a desire brought on by an aroma of food, because she would otherwise be in a sakana if the desire is not satisfied. I can not think of any off hand. Or is this another case where we have to come unto the fact that "nishtane hateva"? So in the time of the mishna there was a sakana to pregnant women from this, but this is no longer within the nature of pregnant woman?

The closest I can come up with (but no cigar) is the strange eating desires of women when pregnant, I guess brought on by all the hormonal changes brought on by pregnancy, (I assume this is true and not fiction), as well as morning sickness. But I doubt these conditions can put the mother in significant danger?

Rashi seems to learn that the fetus smells the odor. Does a fetus in utero  have a sense of smell? Can the odor wafting about in the atmosphere get through all the layers to reach the fetus even if it has a developed sense of smell? I  imagine, it would not? Anyone who knows? I think some are maghia rashi so that it is the mother who smells the odor, not the fetus?

How did you learn this Mishna in daf yomi?

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster