[Mesorah] Ambiguity and the Trop

galsaba at aol.com galsaba at aol.com
Thu Nov 23 18:24:25 PST 2023

It is one of the rules of trops. When you have trops at the same darga ("level") under the "government" of a trop at a higher darga, then the one on the right will be stronger than the one to its left.ק֣וֹל קוֹרֵ֔א בַּמִּדְבָּ֕ר פַּנּ֖וּ דֶּ֣רֶךְ יְדוָ֑ד יַשְּׁרוּ֙ בָּעֲרָבָ֔ה מְסִלָּ֖ה לֵאלֹהֵֽינוּ׃

In this verse you have three trops of the same darga, under the "government" of Etnachta, which is at a higher darga:Two zakefs and one tipcha. So the zakef on the very right (zafef katon) is stronger than the zakef (zakef gadol) to its left, and this zakef (zakef gadol) is stronger than the Tipcha.
Zakef Gadol is not stronger than zakef katon. There are at the same darga. This is not as Ravia Gadol and Ravia Katon in ta'amei emeth. There the Ravia Gadol is stronger. And this is not because it is on the right of the katon.  Although medakdekim put them at the same darga, because they wanted to have four dargot only. But if we decide to have more dargot, then the Ravia Gadol and Ravia katon will not be at the same darga.

Aharon Gal201-414-7190