[Mesorah] L'mino and l'mineihu

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 11:08:12 PDT 2022

Is there any difference between the meaning of l'mino and l'mineihu?  If
not, does anybody have a clue when one is used and when the other?  They
seem to be used interchangeably in the list of forbidden birds and locusts
in Shmini (and also in the first chapter of Breshit).  For example, the two
halves of the pasuk in Vayikra 11:22 (excluding the 4 introductory words)
are parallel in structure and trop, yet the first half has l'mino and
l'mineihu, while the second half has l'mineihu twice.

I also didn't find any commentary that relates to this.  Onkelos
distinguishes them as liznei and liznohi respectively but my knowledge of
Aramaic is too limited to understand the difference.

Danny Levy